It’s a general roundup of news from the past few days in another installment of the increasingly inaccurately named Mainichi Junk! We’ve got stuff from all corners of the otakuverse today, starting with a heaping helping of Comic Market 73 (the latest on Momoi’s AX DVD, Keumaya’s new doujin figure project, and hug pillows galore), new moves on the anime scene (trailers for Mnemosyne, Code Geass season 2, and Kite Liberator), eroanime news (featuring a new Pixy title in the “valkyrie vs. orc” genre), a few bits of figure gossip (Orchid’s Erika shipping for reals, Donne Anonime too, and Shuraki mangafication) and a new MOSAIC.WAV eroge movie that is certainly worth your viewing time.
- The paper edition of the circle catalog for Comic Market 73 went on sale last Saturday, December 8th. From a quick perusal over the weekend (thanks Animaestro!) it seems that unlike last summer’s event nearly all of the maniac-type circles that applied made the cut; it’s looking to be a fair bonanza for those of us so inclined, and a good test of the effects of recently tightened doujin content regulation. We’ll be watching this up close and personal come the end of the month.
- At the beginning of November we reported the release of a DVD of Momoi Haruko live at Anime Expo ’07, and further details regarding its Comiket 73 pre-release are now available: if you are one of the first 150 fans to buy the DVD on the second day (December 30th) you’ll receive a ticket to a special Momoi “signed jacket presentation” occurring later that day at the event. Those who’ve seen the Comiket industry booths can appreciate the logistical difficulty in holding an actual signing there, so apparently she’ll just be on hand to distribute pre-signed replacement DVD covers.
For those unable to make make it to the event, a mail-order listing for the disc complete with additional Momoi photos can be found here.
- In [ERO] doujin figure news, the C73 offering from circle Keumaya has been unveiled! According to his blog, the theme for his new “Violet” PVC was to see how large he could sculpt the chest (without her falling over, presumably), a concept I wholeheartedly support. She’s based on a character from the light novel Odin no Yari, which is in turn based in the world of TRPG Alshard Fortissimo and is a partial crossover with the universe of TRPG Night Wizard, which is also a currently airing TV anime. Thus far Violet has not appeared in the Night Wizard anime, a fact which Keumaya laments; I’m with him in hoping that she’ll eventually be animated, if not in this first series perhaps in a sequel?
Anyway, for those unable to make Comiket it’s likely that Violet will be available from Toranoana and Keumaya’s own online shop after the event, if you’re willing to bite the proxy bullet.
- The Dakimakura Integrated Research Institute has begun the laborious task of cataloging the hug pillow presence at Comiket 73 from both doujin circles and industry. While they’re not expected to appear in quite the momentous volume that graced last summer’s event it’s sure that the general upward trend will continue; those interested in the Comiket pillow selection are advised to check back frequently as the list is updated almost daily.
- Budget eroge and eroanime maker Lilith has announced their scheduled industry booth appearance at C73, their first Comiket appearance in two years (as we reported at the time they released [ERO] Taimanin Asagi Gaiden along with a calendar back at C69). This time around they’ll be releasing an official doujin based on an upcoming Lilith Mist title and a game compilation of new and previously unreleased material from four games focusing on the theme of “fellatio”. More items may yet be announced, we’ll be keeping an eye on this.
A bunch of trailers from titles we’ve been tracking for the past few months are now online:
Kite Liberator is looking kind of silly in its mixture of over the top, stylized violence and underdone mysticism, but I’m anticipating it regardless as a nicely animated diversion. Mnemosyne is looking like it might have some plot and/or pacing issues as well, but the animation seems quality and there are some titillating erotic sequences (pardon the pun) that may be worth the price of admission. Geass 2 moves to target the fujoshi market with the introduction of a new shota character named “Roro”, creating (along with Suzaku and Lelouche) what will certainly be interpreted by the female doujin crowd as a ménage à trois (thanks for the accent marks, Wikipedia).
- More concept art was recently uploaded over at the official Druaga anime site, and it’s looking gorgeous. This is exactly the sort of thing I like to see from series purporting to represent the fantasy genre; I hope these backgrounds are rendered in color for the final versions as beautifully as they are in these sketches.
- The official site for Macross Frontier is now online! While there’s nothing there of interest yet (beyond the news that the first animated glimpse we’ll get beyond the trailer will come on the 23rd of this month), Famitsu represents with some character design images that we haven’t seen before. The series is scheduled for broadcast beginning in spring ’08.
Two new items from the eroanime world today:
- Elf affiliate brand Silky’s eroge Hime Kishi Angelica, the well-regarded elf princess training game released back in February, is scheduled for anime conversion from MS Pictures / Milky Anime! The first episode is due out on January 25th, and seems to sport some decent production values; looking forward to this one.
- Lilith anime brand Pixy’s latest title Ikusa Otome Svia has an introductory page online, and is the anime adaptation of Lilith’s budget eroge by the same name that came out at the end of last year. Yet another title in the fine history of Japan’s attempts to answer the question “why make an eroanime about something other than orcs raping valkyries when you can make an eroanime about orcs raping valkyries”, the first volume will see release via download on December 22nd. Game Style has a full resolution screenshot gallery online for those seeking further visual evidence; looks to be another good one for fans of this particular subgenre.
Now on sale:
All three are in stock and shipping now! Reviews will be up at HD soon for Erika and Donne Anonime, but if you’d like to make a purchase now and support the site in the process the above Play Asia links should do the trick. Update: 2chan is reporting that Donne Anonime’s chest is made from a soft, pliant plastic similar to that of Alter’s plainclothes Masane. Still no word on her castoffability, we’ll update when definitive confirmation is received.
Update 2: Fauna’s castoff can be seen here.
- The official Shining Wind hobby blog scoops the news of Kotobukiya’s Kureha preorder with some very nice sample photos of her face and a particularly attractive chest shot. While she’s not at all likely to be a full castoff, some of those curves are bewitching indeed. :3
- According to last Friday’s Moon Phase diary update the Shuraki series of multimedia figures from Goodsmile and Red Entertainment will be receiving the manga treatment beginning in the spring of 2008 in the pages of serial Dragon Age. Art is from Takatsuki Nagi, and the story will feature Shuraki vol. 1 Akatsuki Mishiro as the heroine.
- Alchemy unveiled their latest sub-brand Milk Pai yesterday along with an opulent rollout for its first title, Chichi Fechi. While the game itself doesn’t do much for me it’s notable both for being split into three chunks for easy consumption (the first to be available via download on December 28th) and also for the whimsical and highly [ERO] opening movie from denpa unit MOSAIC.WAV. I highly recommend checking it out – let’s fondle fore buttocks!