In today’s update: A forced marriage between Avex and Production I.G. births the Sisters of Wellber, Gonzo tries its hand at a 9th grade English lesson staple, Mad House announces a Maple Story anime (may not be compatible with Firefox), the limited edition of NHK manga vol. 6 hits store shelves, Ayu Mayu Theater gets a DVD release, and figure updates from Kotobukiya, Alter, Toys Planning, and Gainax.
- The official site for the April 2007 TV series Wellber no Monogatari (Sisters of Wellber is the English title, though not a direct translation) is now online. It’s credited as an Avex Entertainment / Production I.G. coproduction, which is like crediting a car to both Hyundai and Porsche, and while Moon Phase describes the story as “a lovely tale of forced marriage, rape on wedding night, and death by stabbing”, the presence of B-team cuts in the Story section slideshow indicates that we’re in for a potentially painful low-budget affair.
- This just in: Gonzo is doing Romeo and Juliet. Call me an idiot, but knowing Gonzo’s track record with the adaptation of historical novels, this idea is so crazy it just might work. They’ve certainly got an interesting team compiled for the project – the director did designs for Keroro Gunsou and Kaleido Star, the character designer did Fushigiboshi no Futagohime and the Densha Otoko OP, and the BGM composer did work on Gradius V and FF12. Regardless, a look at the About and Character sections reveals an aesthetic that I think suits the story admirably. And hey – they still credit the story to good old Willy.
- Mad House announced yesterday that they’ll be producing a TV anime of Maple Story, a free (and by all accounts highly addictive) online game. The game’s English site
cancan’t be found here, at least not if you’re using Firefox [insert snide “in ur activex killin ur doods” comment here].
- The Kiminozo / Muv Luv spinoff (or spin-out, as eg’s coverage so prosaically terms it) web anime Ayu Mayu Theater will be available on DVD February 23rd, 2007. I fervently hope that the fact they’ve been broadcasting this online free and un-DRMed will generate so much goodwill among fans that it will be a smash hit bestseller and pave the way for similar projects – we don’t need no stinkin’ terrestrial signal!
- Welcome to the NHK manga volume 6 is now officially on store shelves in its limited edition, coming complete with the prototype for the eroge supposedly designed by Satou and Yamazaki. Dubbed “True World”, the game is a coproduction by the manga author and illustrator in collaboration with game maker Circus (official Circus game site), but unlike the glimpses we get in the manga it contains no ero content. I’m hoping it’s not sold out by this evening so I can get my grubby hands on it for a review… Amazon is unfortunately down to the resellers.
- Game Style has updated with screenshots and an introduction to G.J?’s upcoming December 15th release of Queen Bonjourno. The official site hasn’t been updated in a couple of weeks, which means it’s ripe for some new material later today – I’ll certainly be watching. :3
- Kotobukiya has updated their staff blog with pictures of an uber-cute new Konomi figure from To Heart 2 – and she’s wearing (Fujioka) Haruhi’s frilly swimsuit! The moe factor doesn’t get much higher than this…
- The March 2007 lineup from Alter and Toys Planning is now online! From Alter, a new Djibril from the eponymous Makai Tenshi Jibril, along with Saika S. Falnezze from Alice Soft’s Pastel Chime Continue. Toys Planning weighs in with a duo of maids from He is My Master, Anna and Mitsuki.
- Gainax represents with two new entries in its Evangelion Angel XX series: Arael XX and Sahaquiel XX. No official word on the release date for either yet.